1. Cast on 36 stitches.
2. Distribute the stitches to 4 double pointed knitting needles. Keep even numbers of stitches on each needle.
3. Begin the first row by hiding the other end of the yarn - knit 2 and purl 2, for 20 rounds, to make the ribbing for the mitten cuff.
4. Change the pattern. Knit all stitches for 15 rounds.
5. Make a space for the thumb by sliding 6 stitches on to a safety pin. Leave it for now, you will work on it later. Knit all the remaining sts to end of the round.
6. Make new 6 stitches to work the same number of sts.
7. Knit all 36 stitches for 30 rounds.
8. Start reducing a number of stitches by knitting two stitches together on each side of the mitten. Redistribute stitches on needles to make more convenient knitting.
9. Keep decreasing stitches - k2tog (knit two together) without making any intervals to last 4 sts; k4tog. Then pull the tail to inside of the mitten.
10. Secure and hide the end of the yarn.
11. Pick up 10 stitches for the thumb.
12. Knit all stitches for 15 rounds.
13. Decrease stitches - k2tog to end.
14. Pull the tail to inside of the thumb.
15. Secure and hide the end of the yarn.
For Аня М,
I decreased stitches as follows:
K17, K2tog, K16, K2tog,
K15, K2tog, K15, K2tog,
K14, K2tog, K14, K2tog,
K13, K2tog, K13, K2tog,
K12, K2tog, K12, K2tog,
K11, K2tog, K11, K2tog,
K10, K2tog, K10, K2tog,
K9, K2tog, K9, K2tog, k9
K2tog to last 4 sts; k4tog
In the attached picture you may see the front of the mitten and its side. Hope this will help.